Introduction to MS-Excel 2013
Microsoft Excel is a spreadsheet program that is used to record and analyses numerical data. It is designed to perform calculations, analyze and visualize data in a spread-sheet. Alphabetical letters are usually assigned to columns and numbers are usually assigned to rows. The point where a column and a row meet is called a cell. The address of a cell is given by the letter representing the column and the number representing a row.
An Excel 2013 Window:
What is a Workbook?
A workbook is a collection of worksheets. Excel files are called workbooks. Whenever you start a new project, you will need to create a new workbook. There are several ways to start working with a workbook. You can choose to create a new workbook either with a blank workbook or with a predesigned template.
To create a new blank workbook
1. Select the File tab.
2. Select new, then click blank workbook
3. A new blank workbook will appear
To open an existing workbook
In addition to creating new workbooks, you will often need to open a workbook that was previously saved. Listed below are the steps for opening an existing workbook.
1. Select file tab, then click open.
2. Select computer, then click Browser.
3. The open dialog box will appear. Locate and select your workbook, then click open.
To create a new workbook from a template
A template is a predefined spreadsheet that can be used to create a new workbook quickly. It saves a lot of time and effort when starting a new project.
Listed below are the steps for creating a new workbook from a template:
1. Click the file tab, then click new, several templates will appear below the blank workbook option.
2. Select a template to review it.
3. A preview of the template will appear, along with additional information on how the template can be used.
4. Click create to use the selected template.
Insert, Delete and Rename Worksheets
By default, workbook 2013 contains only one worksheet. You can insert additional worksheets as needed.
Click on Home tab under cell group click on Insert sheet.
Use 4- button located on the right side of the sheet tab, to insert new sheet.
If you do not need a worksheet, you can delete it from the workbook.
Click on the Home tab, under cell group, click on delete sheet.