Agriculture - Important Terms And Concepts
Category : 10th Class
Important Terms and Concepts
- Agriculture. It is an economic activity related to cultivation of crops, animal rearing and fishing.
- Commercial Farming. Farming in which crops are grown with the use of modern technology mainly for commercial purposes to obtain high productivity.
- Green Revolution. A package programme to increase the productivity of food grains with the help of HYV seeds, machines, irrigation and fertilisers, etc.
- Horticulture. Specialised cultivation of fruits and vegetables.
- Intensive Subsistence Farming. A type of farming which emphasises maximum use of minimum land.
- Kharif. An agricultural season where crops are grown with the onset of rains and harvested by the retreat of the monsoon, mainly October.
- Plantation Agriculture. A large scale single crop farming which resembles factory production. It is both labour intensive and capital intensive.
- Primitive Subsistence Farming. A type of farming done on small fields using primitive tools mainly in the form of shifting agriculture.
- White Revolution. A package programme meant for increasing the productivity of milk.
- Sericulture. Rearing of silkworms to produce raw silk.
- Zaid. It is a short season where summer crop fruits like watermelon, vegetables and muskmelon like cucumber are grown.