OUTCOME OF DEMOCRACY
Important Terms And Concepts
- Outcome: Results, consequences or output.
- Characteristics of Democracy: Promotes equality, Enhances the dignity of the individual, improves the quality of decision making, provides methods to resolve conflicts, accommodates correct mistakes.
- Alternative Forms of Government than Democracy: Monarchy, military rule, by religious leaders.
- Elements/Constituents of Democracy: Formal constitution, elections, political parties, constitutional rights.
- Monarchy: The government ruled by the monarch or king of the country i.e., monarch or king is the head of the country who is hereditary.
- Dignity: The word denotes privileged position, honorable rank or importance given to any particular post or personality.
- Outcome of Democracy: Political equality and political justice, social equality and social justice, economic equality and economic justice, dignity to the individual.
- Measures for Democratic Outcome: Regular free and fair elections, open public debate on major policies, right to information given to the people.
- Economic Development: It refers to the growth or advancement of the country in the way of providing better facilities and services to the individual.
- Transparency: Right or means to examine the process of decision making.
- Accountable: Responsible, answerable, legitimate to the individual/posts and their needs and expectations.
- Poverty: It is a socio-economic phenomenon which in general terms is the denial of opportunities to lead a long, healthy, creative life and to enjoy a decent standard of living.
- Inequality: Absence of equal opportunities, equal treatment and equal status at any level, social, economic or political is known as inequality.
- Measures to Sustain Democracy:
Unity in diversity
Historical background of the country
Tolerance power among people
Feeling of nationalism and patriotism
International peace and understanding
- Civil Liberties: These are privileges or rights thought to be valuable in themselves and important for the functioning of democratic society.