Notes - Know About Plants
Category : 2nd Class
Know About Plants
Plants are living organisms and provide us with food materials, wood, etc. They have many parts such as roots, stems, leaves, flowers, fruits, etc.
PARTS OF A PLANT
It is that part of the plant that develops inside the soil. Roots absorb water and minerals from soil and send them to the other parts of plants through stem.
Stem gives support to upper part of the plant. Water and dissolved nutrients from the soil travel up through stems. Food from leaves come down to roots by stems.
Leaves of different plants can have different shapes and sizes. Generally they are green in colour. In this part of the plant, food is produced with the help of sunlight. We eat leaves of many plants. For example: cabbage, spinach, etc.
They are the most colourful and beautiful part of a plant that produces fruit. Flowers attract humans and insects because of their fragrance. They are the reproductive parts of the plants. For example: Rose, Sunflower, etc.
They come out from flowers. They are the edible part of plants. We eat fruits like Apple, Banana, Orange, Grapes, etc.
It is the part of plant from which a baby plant grows. Seed contains food.
TYPES OF PLANTS
These are the small plants with soft stem. They have medicinal value as well.
For example; Mint, Tulsi. Coriander, etc.
They are smaller than trees. They have a short stem of lower heights. Some shrubs contain flowers.
For example: Sunflower plant. Rose plant, etc.
Big plants are called trees. They are tall and have long branches. They have stronger and thicker stems in comparison to the other plants.
For example: Mango tree, Coconut tree, etc.
Plants with weak and soft stem that need support of other plants, stick on walls, etc. are called climbers.
For example: Money plant, grapevine, etc.
Plants with weak stem that grow along the ground are called creepers.
For example: Pumpkin, Bottle gourd.
do you Know?
PLANTS ON THE BASIS OF THEIR HABITAT
1. Terrestrial plants; Plants which grow on the land are called terrestrial plants.
Example : Papaya tree, Mango tree.
2. Aquatic plants: Plants which grow in water are called aquatic plants.
Example : Water Lily and Lotus.
Do You Know?
3. Thorny plants: Plants which have thorns or spines on it are called thorny plants.
Example : Rose, Cactus
4. Wild plants; Wild plants grow naturally. They are not planted by humans intentionally.
Example : Banyan tree, Grass.
USES OF PLANTS
1. Plants give us food. We eat leaves, stems, fruits, flowers and seeds of plants.
Root ; Beetroot, Radish, Carrot, Turnip
Do You Know?
Stem : Potato and Ginger
Leaves : Spinach, Lettuce and Cabbage.
Flowers : Broccoli and Cauliflower.
2. We get cereals, pulses, oil, spice, coffee, tea, sugar from plants.
3. Plants give out oxygen and make air fresh and pure.
4. Plants give us cotton and jute.
5. Plants like tuisi, neem, mint plant, etc. give us medicines.
You need to login to perform this action.
You will be redirected in 3 sec