Category : 3rd Class
Better Ways of Using Computer
Sitting in front of computer for long time such as, 7 to 8 hours in a day may worse impact on your health later. The use of computers for long hours is a major issue of computer-related health risks which include repetitive stress injuries, eyestrain, obesity, back problems, etc. As for any task that means working in one position for sometime, it's important to make yourself as comfortable as possible when you use your computer. Correct postures pay off in later life and will help to minimize potential problems. In this chapter, we study about the correct posture while sitting in front of computer.
Correct Postures While Using Computers
Weather you are using windows PC, Laptop, it is important to maintain proper body posture while using these devices. Sitting at a computer for long periods of time can take a toll on your body. By not sitting with the correct posture, it is easy to end up with back pain, neck pain, knee pains and a tingling of the hands and fingers. Correct postures play a large role hence we should follow the good habits. When we use the computer.
Do's and Don'ts
Some of the computer's Do's and Don?ts are the following:
(1) You should Adjust your chair height so your feet are flat on the floor and your knees are in line with your hips.
(2) You should sit up straight in front of computer.
(3) Ensure the keyboard is close and directly in front of you.
(4) To help your neck stay relaxed and in a neutral position, the monitor should be directly in front of you, a few inches above eye level.
(5) Sit at least 20 inches (or an arm length) away from the computer screen.
(6) Stand up and walk around a few minutes periodically.
(7) Do not use phone kept on shoulder while you sit on the chair. Alternatively you may use headsets for comfortable phone conversation without causing any strain on shoulders.
(8) Keep monitor clean and free from dust and greasy hand stains to prevent any strain on eyes while viewing displaying on the screen.
(9) Try to keep arm at right angle at most times while using keyboard and mouse in the front of the computer.
(10) Do not rest your palm on the keyboard while typing.
(11) Avoid eye fatigue by resting and refocusing your eyes periodically look away from the monitor and focus on something in distance.
Maintaining your Monitor
v Keep the brightness and contrast at minimum before switching on the system and increase it to the appropriate level thereafter.
v Try to open the VDU and touch the parts as these parts may carry high voltage.
Maintaining your keyboard
v Clean the keyboard regularly.
v Use a vacuum cleaner keyboards as it can extract the dust collected between the keys.
v Strike the keys hard as those of a manual typewriter since these keys are soft touch.
v Rest your hands on the keyboard. Keep anything on your keyboard.
v Use the keys after switching off the system.
v Stretch the keyboard cable.
Social and Ethical Behavior
Accessing the personal information of others on the computer violates ethical principles. Computer Ethics is a set of moral principles that govern an individual or a group on ? what is acceptable behaviors while using a computer.
Some of the rules that the students should follow while using computers are the following:
1. Do not use the computer to harm other users.
2. Do not use computers to steal other's information.
3. Do not access files without the permission of the owner.
4. Do not copy copyrighted software without the author's permission.
You need to login to perform this action.
You will be redirected in 3 sec