Minerals and Energy Resources - Important Terms And Concepts
Category : 10th Class
Minerals and Energy Resources
Important Terms And Concepts
- Biogas. Energy produced by using shrubs, farm waste, animal and human wastes.
- Conventional Sources of Energy. Traditional sources of energy like coal, petroleum, natural gas.
- Geologists. Experts who study about rocks, their age, formation of minerals and physical and chemical composition.
- Minerals. Naturally occurring substances on the earth's surface having a definite chemical composition.
- Mineral Ore. Minerals from which metals are extracted in a raw state from the earth.
- Non-conventional Sources of Energy. Renewable sources of energy which are recently developed like solar, wind, tidal, etc.
- Open Cast Mining. A method of mining by removing the overlying materials to extract the minerals from shallow depth.
- Mining. An economic activity which deals with profitable extraction of minerals.
- Placer Deposits. Minerals which occur as alluvial deposits brought down by the rivers such as gold, silver, tin, etc.
- Rocks. Natural substances which consists of one or more minerals.
- Robber Industry. Minerals once mined cannot be replaced and are exhausted and hence is known as 'robber industry'.
- Shaft Mining. A method of mining where vertical and horizontal shafts are made to extract the minerals from deep under the earth.