UPSC General Studies Solved Paper - General Studies-2016

  • question_answer
    Which one of the following is a purpose of TJDAY', a scheme of the Government of India?

    A)  Providing technical and financial assistance to start-up entrepreneurs in the field of renewable sources of energy

    B)  Providing electricity to every household in the country by 2018

    C)  Replacing the coal-based power plants with natural gas, nuclear, solar, wind and tidal power plants over a period of time

    D)  Providing for financial turnaround and revival of power distribution companies

    Correct Answer: D

    Solution :

    Exp. [d] In November 2015, the government had launched UDAY (Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana) scheme. Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana (UDAY) is the financial turnaround and revival package for electricity distribution companies of India (DISCOMs) initiated by the Government of India with the intent to find a permanent solution to the financial mess that the power distribution is in. The scheme comprises four initiatives? improving operational efficiencies of DISCOMS, reduction of cost of power, reduction in interest cost of DISCOMS and enforcing financial discipline on DISCOMS through alignment with state finances. It allows State Governments, which own the DISCOMS, to take over 75 % of their debt as of 30th September, 2015 and pay back lenders by selling bonds. DISCOMS are expected to issue bonds for the remaining 25% of their debt.                                

You need to login to perform this action.
You will be redirected in 3 sec spinner