Water Resources - Important Terms and Concepts
Category : 10th Class
Important Terms And Concepts
- Dam. Embankments or structures built across the river to store rainwater for various uses.
- Drip Irrigation. A type of irrigation where water gets dropped in the form of drops near the roots of the plant mainly to conserve the moisture.
- Hydrological Cycle. Continuous circulation of water between hydrosphere, atmosphere and lithosphere in which water changes its physical state.
- Inundation Canal. Canal meant for diverting flood waters mainly during the rainy season.
- Irrigation. Artificial means of supplying water to farmlands in the form of canals, wells, tubewells and tanks.
- Multi-purpose Projects. River valley projects developed after independence for integrated development of water resources.
- Perennial Canal. Canal diverted from perennial rivers.
- Rainwater Harvesting. It is a technique developed to store the rainwater, river water or groundwater to meet the needs of the population.
- River Water Disputed. Disputes concerned with the sharing of river water between states flowing through several states in India.
- Surface Water. Water flowing on the earth's surface in the form of rivers, streams, lakes, etc.
- Tank. Natural or man-made reservoir to store rainwater.
- Water Scarcity. Shortage of water due to natural or man-made activities.