Category : 4th Class
Definite Article (the) points out to a particular person, animal, thing or place. The is used before a noun beginning with a consonant or a vowel sound.
In the above given sentences, the has been used before girl, race, Bible and Christians (all nouns) which are definite or particular person or thing. These particular person or thing may begin with both sounds - consonant or vowel.
Uses of Definite Article 'The'
'The' is used before the following:
1. A class of noun. Eg. The dog is a faithful animal.
2. Superlative Degrees of Adjective. Eg. Steve is the best player in the team.
3. Words that express quantity. Eg. Wheat is sold by the kilogram.
4. A noun which has already mentioned earlier. Eg. Steve saw a bird. The bird was beautiful.
5. Names of national, religion and caste. Eg. The Hindu, The Indian.
6. The name of famous building. Eg. The Red Fort.
7. The name of sea and river valley. Eg. The Arabian sea, The Brahmaputra valley
8. Name of few countries. Eg. The U.S.A., The U.K.
9. Name of religious books. Eg. The Ramayana.
10. Name of Heavenly bodies. . Eg. The Venus
11. Name of Rivers. Eg. The Ganga
12. Name of Mountain. Eg. The Himalaya
13. The name of ocean. Eg. The Indian Ocean, The Pacific Ocean.
14. Historical buildings. Eg. The Taj Mahal, The Victoria Memorial, The Red fort.
15. English newspaper. Eg. The Times of India, The Hindustan times, The Hindu.
You need to login to perform this action.
You will be redirected in 3 sec