About the Scheme
Emphasising on water conservation the government of Karnataka has announced 2019 as the ‘Year of Water’ to emphasise the importance of water becoming a scarce commodity and the need to conserve it.
- The scheme will be implemented by the Ministry of Rural Development and Panchayat Raj of Karnataka.
- Under the scheme, scientific approaches will be deployed for water budgeting, water harvesting and water conservation through the use of geospatial data, satellite imagery, topographical and geological data.
- The scheme is community drive and will be implemented by key line departments of the government, Panchayat Raj Institutions (PRIs), non-governmental organisations (NGOs), and private sector institutions.
- The water conservation strategy under the scheme comprises of four components viz. water literacy, rejuvenation of waterbodies, creation of new waterbodies as well as the development of watersheds and afforestation activities.
- The scheme will operate on a four-tier institutional structure with planning and execution committees being set up at village, taluk, district and State levels.
- A State-level committee headed by the Chief Minister will be established for strategic monitoring, convergence, policy and programmatic guidance and the committee will design water conservation strategies for the State in consultation with all stakeholders.